Arca Continental, bottler for Coca-Cola bottlers, recently pledged to support a voluntary agreement with the National Government of Ecuador, through the Ministry of the Environment, with the goal of strengthening sustainable production and consumption in its Tonicorp business.
The Minister of the Environment, Water, and Ecological Transition, Gustavo Manrique, as well as other allies and beneficiaries of initiatives implemented in the country, participated in the ceremony for signing this agreement in which Coca-Cola Ecuador and Tonicorp – a company led by Arca Continental and The Coca-Cola Company – are also involved.
The goal of the agreement is to create shared value with employees, suppliers, customers, consumers, recyclers, the value chain, communities, and all other parties who directly or indirectly interact with the companies.
In addition, the document describes the December 2022 goals to strengthen sustainable production and consumption, in terms of a circular economy, hydrological sustainability, and climate change.
Circular economy in packaging
- Reach a mix of returnable packaging in 30% of the portfolio and promote a consumer-centric education campaign regarding returnable packaging.
- Increase participation of the traditional channel in recycling and waste management frameworks.
- Increase by 20% the number of beneficiaries of the inclusive recycling program known as DAR.
- Collect 60% of PET packaging and include 25% of recycled resin in PET packaging.
- Replenish 100% of the water used in beverages to nature.
- Achieve greater efficiencies in water usage, with savings of 11% in the water used per liter of beverage compared to the 2018 baseline; for Tonicorp, generate an efficiency rate in its dairy operation equivalent to savings of 48% compared to 2018.
- Develop and execute an access-to-clean-water project.
- Include three Carbon Neutral cattle ranches.
- Reduce the carbon footprint to reach an Energy Usage Rate of 0.316 MJ/Lb in their beverages operation.